When you enter an equation into the calculator, the calculator will begin by expanding (simplifying) the problem. Then it will attempt to solve the equation by using one or more of the following: addition, subtraction, division, taking the square root of each side, factoring, and completing the square.
Any lowercase letter may be used as a variable.
Exponents are supported on variables using the ^ (caret) symbol. For example, to express x2, enter x^2. Note: exponents must be positive integers, no negatives, decimals, or variables. Exponents may not currently be placed on numbers, brackets, or parentheses.
Parentheses and Brackets
Parentheses ( ) and brackets [ ] may be used to group terms as in a standard equation or expression.
Multiplication, Addition, and Subtraction
For addition and subtraction, use the standard + and - symbols respectively. For multiplication, use the * symbol. A * symbol is not necessary when multiplying a number by a variable. For instance: 2 * x can also be entered as 2x. Similarly, 2 * (x + 5) can also be entered as 2(x + 5); 2x * (5) can be entered as 2x(5). The * is also optional when multiplying with parentheses, example: (x + 1)(x - 1).
Order of Operations
The calculator follows the standard order of operations taught by most algebra books - Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction. The only exception is that division is not currently supported; attempts to use the / symbol will result in an error.
Division, Square Root, Radicals, Fractions
The above features are not supported.
Sign up for free to access more Algebra resources like . Wyzant Resources features blogs, videos, lessons, and more about Algebra and over 250 other subjects. Stop struggling and start learning today with thousands of free resources!
- Have you ever accidentally drop your laptop
- What is the most Khmer thing ever
- What is Fantasy Kabaddi
- What is political risk 2
- Which is greater mercy or kindness
- Will Muslims be targeted in the NRC
- How do you say strong in Spanish
- Which country has high employment rate
- Did Chinese soldiers use shields during war
- Why is limitless thinking important
- What language is CouchDB written in
- Should I take admission in SRM Chennai
- Where will we find wizards
- Is Boo Radley black
- Can you really speak Japanese?no_redirect=1
- What is Google AdWords PPC
- What are you dependent on
- Is a cat a wild animal